X

Tennis hall of fame

The International Tennis Hall of Fame and Museum is a landmark for tennis enthusiasts and is located approximately eight blocks from the Jailhouse Inn.  Site of the first U.S. National Championships in 1881, it also exhibits a vast and varied collection of tennis memorabilia including photography, video recordings, tennis equipment, trophies and apparel through the ages. 
 
The Hall of Fame and Museum are located at the historic Newport Casino, designed in the 1880s by architect Stanford White of McKim, Mead and White.  When it was built, the structure had no American architectural precedent. A multimillion dollar renovation completed in 1997 restored the complex to its original splendor.
 
The Casino's 13 grass courts are the world's oldest continuously-used competition grass courts and the only ones open to the public for play.  (There is a court fee, and you must call to reserve.) 
 
The facility also hosts the only professional grass-court tournament on the ATP tour in North America.  It takes place each year in the weeks immediately following Wimbledon.